|Versions:||OS X 10.10.3||iOS 8.3|
Despite the date, this article by Jason Snell at Six Colors about the Spock Live Long and Prosper hand gesture, referred to as Raised Hand with Part Between Middle and Ring Finger, is not an April Fool’s Joke.
iOS 8.3 and OS X 10.10.3 can display the emoji, but it isn’t in the standard Emoji keyboard on either OS yet.
To be able to use the emoji on OS X, you can create a text replacement macro to use it now:
- Copy the emoji from here: Raised Hand with Part Between Middle and Ring Finger (Blogger keeps double-encoding the emoji and makes it unreadable).
- Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Text tab.
- Click +.
- I used LLAP in the Replace column and the emoji in the With column.
- That’s it!
Now when you type LLAP on OS X, you’ll get prompted to use the emoji.
Now on iOS:
- Copy the emoji from here: Raised Hand with Part Between Middle and Ring Finger
- Go to Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts.
- Tap +.
- Paste the emoji into Phrase.
- Type LLAP into Shortcut.
- Tap Save.
Now when you type LLAP on iOS, you’ll get prompted to use the emoji.
Live Long and Prosper!